Thursday, July 30, 2015

Radiation Complete (and TV)

My 33 radiation treatments over the past 6.5 weeks are complete.  My last day was Tuesday, 7/28, and now I am in recovery mode.  It feels like a nice milestone and accomplishment, but at the same time it is only the first step.  The doctor did say the peak of side effects is when treatment ends and I believe her!  I am feeling fatigued and generally low energy this week.  My health objective for August is to recover and heal as much as possible to go into chemotherapy strong.  Chemotherapy is scheduled to begin 8/24.

Cannot wait to celebrate Laura and Jarod at their wedding next week!  As we know my sister is an amazing planner and I know the wedding will be absolutely spectacular.  And we get to officially welcome Jarod into our family.  Add to that all the amazing energy that family and friends will bring.  I am very grateful that my treatment has worked out so I am on my "break" next week.

Last night Kim and I were on the local Seattle news, King 5.  A reporter contacted us because she heard about the Be Positive movement via word of mouth through my friends in the standup paddleboard community.  We decided to give it a go because putting some energy to a positive cause gives Kim and I energy and motivation to keep moving forward.  The reporter, Natalie Swaby, and cameraman, Eric, came to our house yesterday afternoon and interviewed us in the backyard.  They were super professional, very nice and I think were genuinely interested in us and our story.  We think they did a great job in creating a nice piece that is consistent with our approach.  It is amazing to see the Be Positive message starting to spread to more strangers and in particular people that have been affected by cancer.  It makes us feel even better that funds from the shirts are going to Seattle Cancer Care Alliance (SCCA).  We have even met with SCCA fundraising staff to make sure Kim and I can be involved with earmarking these donations so they are used to have the most positive impact possible.

Here is the TV link:  http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/seattle/2015/07/30/be-positive-cancer-patient-/30868413/

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I saw your story on King 5. My wife is 38 and has glioblastoma mulitiforme grade 4. Only 30% of the tumor was removed. The rest is inoperable. So far it has been a year and she is doing well. The one thing that helped my wife through all the ups and downs was staying busy. A new baby will definitely keep you busy. I'm sure you have received more than enough advice. If you have any questions feel free to email me jmed14@live.com I know we were confused and overwhelmed in the beginning and speaking with people in our situation helped.

Paige Biggs said...

You're famous!!! Watching your clip was a real pick-me up. Can't wait to see that onesie on a baby Brim.

Random - ran across this in Eugene. http://www.brimtractor.com/ Obviously it's a sign that Brim is going to be one tough baby.

Big hugs!!

Paige Biggs said...

Speaking of the onesie - your face is famous again http://lindsaysoetaert.blogspot.com/2015/07/etsy-shop-love.html?m=1 very intricate face you have there.

Love to you 2.3.

KC said...

So glad to hear you are getting a break now from the treatments. Enjoy the wedding and celebration! I am so happy for Laura and wish her all the best :) Thinking of you and Kim often and doing my best to send good energy your way :)

Miss and love you!!

KC