Friday, May 27, 2016

One Year

One year ago today Kim (with Rosie growing inside), my mom and I went into the doctor's office to hear the results of my biopsy and diagnosis.  Other family was there and waiting to hear the results.  A lot more family and friends were waiting anxiously for an email or phone call.  We already had a ton of support.  The doctors said what I already knew, that I had brain cancer.  They also said there was a clear plan to treat it: about a year of treatment.  That circle around the sun has passed and the light at the end of the treatment tunnel is in sight.  So far the results are looking good.

I will never forget meeting with the doctors who told me I have cancer, but what I will remember most vividly is our response to the diagnosis.  We made the conscious decision to live on our terms.  We had our first child on the way and the only way we wanted to welcome her to earth was to parents and family full of love.  Even more I realized this tumor and disease is part of me, likely forever.  I was not going to fight part of myself.  There are many aspects of the disease and treatment that have temporarily changed my lifestyle.  But it has been important for me to maintain the essence of who I am while dealing with cancer.  I believe I can love the cancer as it dies and passes on.  We intentionally set the message of love and positivity and asked our family and friends to support us with that energy, while leaving fear and hate at the door.  The response was and continues to be incredible beyond words.  Thank you.

I reflect on the past year and I am filled with gratitude.  For my most amazing and strong wife.  For the gift of our incredible daughter, Rosemary.  For family and friends.  For everyone, including people we have not met, who have sent good energy and thoughts our way.  Lastly, I am even grateful to my tumor and disease itself which has taught me about life and love in profound ways.



1 comment:

Paige said...

I saw a video of little Rosie sitting today that made me a little misty. I can't imagine what this year has been for you two, but I continue to be inspired, amazed, and humbled by your approach. You are in my thoughts and prayers every day!