Monday, May 19, 2008

Chao Tortas

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

We´ve said goodbye to our Peruvian home and friends in good fashion: stretching out our goodbye party over 2 nights. We´ve found a wonderful community in Trujillo and while we can´t wait for our travels to start, it was hard saying goodbye to everyone: the kids especially. While our role in their lives was small, we were able to make small, positive changes. The kids in my class now play games that I learned at Outdoor School like ¨Rock, Paper, Scissors, Splits¨ and ¨Evolution¨. I learned a ton from the kids and I hope the best for them: Jorge Luis the artist, Sergio the poet, Manuel the comedian, Fiorela the independent-six-year-old (she may end up president of Peru one day... once she finally starts to recognize the numbers 3 and 7), Diego the scientist and Julissa the artisan worker. So much potential. Then there´s Erika and Cintia - the biggest challenges of the class. They need more help than I was able to give... while they were total pains in the patoot, they were also the hardest to say goodbye to. They have a tough road ahead of them. The class is being left in great hands, however: a commited teacher and good friend, Deisy; and a Canadian volunteer, Ivanka, whose energy, non-profit experience and brains are the amazing combo to keep the class in shape. I´m excited to hear about how the class comes along in the future.

I guess that´s it. During our last week in Trujillo, Brian and I tried as many cakes from Amaretto as possible, ate at our chicken sandwich place almost every day, and finally tried all the flavors of ice cream at our Huanchaco ice cream spot. I know Dad: ¨A moment on the lips, a lifetime on the hips¨... but hey - Brian and I are doing a 5-6 day trek here in a couple days so I figure I should pack on the calories while I still can. Mmmm.

6 comments:

John said...

You are young. Eat as much as you want of whatever you want. One thing about South America: it keeps the weight off.

Great picture of the party. I saw that I was beat out for a comment on the hats, but those have to be the hats worn by the indigenous folk in Peru, as well as by Monsieur Bruce.

Enjoy the hike. Perhaps you will cross the rutted motorcycle trail of Che himself before you are done. A.G.

Rich said...

As you say goodbye to the kids and humbly point out that "while your role in their lives was small, you were able to make small positive changes", I am reminded of something once said by someone much more enlightened than I. "It is not as important to do big and great things...rather, do small things with great love in your heart." (Mother Teresa)

btracy said...

The Dads are all over the comments. It´s great, keep them coming. The hats are similar to the Quechua women. But we have found that the hat style of the women changes. In La Paz they wear little Charlie Chaplin hats. It is fascinating.

I agree it is important to focus on helping out in small ways. Some of the problems down here are very overwelming when you look at the big picture.

Brian

Weisman said...

Love to you both. Kim darling-- big updates in store when we're back in the same place. Let's book a sleep over. :)

Miss you guys-- so happy to hear that teaching was such a positive experience, the kids sounds like they really snuck into your hearts. Which is it should be.

Love love abundantly, and happy hiking.

Unknown said...

B & K,
I ditto your dad's comment, Brian! Your's and Kim's contributions are in no way small! I think that when you enjoy yourself and reap so much from your personal experience, what you offer may seem smaller just by comparison!! It sounds like you found the perfect fit for volunteering, where you get back as much as you give!!

What I really want to know is what that big thing on the table in front of you is in the "Hats" photo???
Love, A.A.

btracy said...

AA,
The ´big thing´ that you notice in the foreground of the picture is a Tres Leches cake. They are pretty incredible. That particular one was decent. But we ate some amazing slices of tres leches in Trujillo. I think they originate in Spain.

Brian