Thursday, May 8, 2008

Recent Developments

Here are some new developments in photos:

My class in Huanchaquito. As my life changes, so does theirs. I´m learning a lot from these kids.



Brian and I finally saw the famous and enormous Chimu ruins, Chan Chan.


Brian picked up a new sport... Sandboarding!

It´s a lot colder. Pobresita Arenita...



One other good one: Brian has picked up the nickname of Pelo Bonito, or Beautiful hair. Hilarious. I´m sure you all can imagine how that got started. I can´t wait to see what a beauty he´ll be in 2 months! (Marla: it might be a good idea to set an appointment with Maria for when Brian gets back...)

As for me...

Mancora changed me. Surrounded by hippies and beach, I felt that I was being taken back to my Oregon roots: a local down the road weaved my hair into dreads and in one of the street markets, I had a local ink artist tattoo a hibiscus on my lower back. I feel great. Happy Mother´s Day, Mom!

Just kidding!

Really, things are pretty normal around here. I thought of the title ¨Recent Developments¨ back when it felt like everything was changing: our mentor, friend, and faithful leader Bart retired from his position as Volunteer Director to move on to new projects in Buenas Aires with his lovely lady Marjiolijn; Brian and I decided to stay in Trujillo for 2 more weeks after a kind invitation from Bruce himself; I turned 24; and a new wave of volunteers were on their way.

Now, our two weeks are almost up. The new (and fantastic) volunteers are here and working hard. And Brian is now running the show as our Director (he has to have a cell phone - haha!). Things are good. The only major development lately with me is that I did get my hair cut: 4 soles, 10 minutes, and a free chocolate bar. Awesome.

Still, as our time is running down, ideas are flowing like never before.

· We´ve started a guest/guide book in Bruce Peru: a work in progress of sorts. Brian and I have written down some of the tips and cool places we´ve learned about while we´ve been here with the hopes that future volunteers will use these pages to get to know the city better and then add pages of their own. Additionally, when we leave, we´ll write a little blurb about how much we love the place.
· Brian and I are working on a manual for future volunteers and staff to use as a reference. It´s fun to think back and figure out the clearest way to communicate all that we have learned over the past two months.
· We´re also working on developing a project in Huanchaco that would hopefully develope a sustainable, local tourist industry and help the local fishermen and farmers to develop the Huanchaco food market. We´re hoping to do something like the initiatives in Ballard or around Portland where a store could put a sticker in their window that says that they promise to buy products from the local workers. We´ve hooked up with some locals who are also interested in the idea and are hoping that the enthusiasm continues.

That´s about that, I suppose. I´m appreciating more and more everyday the great community we´ve developed around us here in Trujillo. However, my mind will still drift to images of New Seasons Market in Portland, or Greenlake in Seattle, or even my white pants that my mom and I found at Anthropology right before I left on this trip. Cultus Lake, the hanging out with the Sanders family in Seattle, Lydia´s wedding, and other summer excursions are also lingering in my mind in anticipation.

We still have so much to see and learn on this trip and I truly can´t wait for it! Laura´s coming to travel with us in Arequipa and Lake Titicaca; we´ll have another tour though Huaraz (yes!), and then many more surprises to come once we´re in Bolivia. Still, when the time comes, I think I will be ready for the comforts and familiarity of the Northwest, as well as the future opportunities of applying all that I have learned here to more local and personal projects.

As a side note, here´s a recommendation for a fantastic book that Brian and I have been reading (Thanks Donee for leaving it in Bolivia!):
· Whispering in the Giant´s Ear by William Powers. A great read regarding the changing global economy though the eyes of Bolivia.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You gave your Mom quite a start with the tattoo story. Pretty funny.

Weisman said...

AAAAAAAH I missed your birthday!!!

Happy 24th friend. I'm slapping myself on the wrist right now. I love you though...!!

Still loving the blog as well. Keep on writing!! It's great to be able to follow the latest developments. Miss you mucho!!

Rich said...

"Pelo Bonito"! Yes,those folks in Peru must have read the Libertyville High School yearbook of 2001 in which Brian was named as having the "best hair"...apparently they agree that that was a good call! Can that wild hair ever be tamed?

btracy said...

Dad,
I completely forgot about the 2001 yearbook. High school must have been quite a long time ago!

Brian