Friday, June 20, 2008

11 days left...

Our trip is winding down fast. The past couple days Kim has been layed up in La Paz. She´s having another stomach issue, and is now getting better. Luckily we found a good hotel (with a sweet shower) and have done nothing the past few days. The down time has made me realize how soon we will be back in the States. Bolivia has been difficult to explore between road blocks and sickness so it gives us more reason to get back down here some day. We are still planning to do the El Choro Trek when Kim is healthy, and we´ll have a bit more time to explore Sucre or another area near La Paz.

The thought of coming back home is weird. I´m probably ready, but at the same time feel very comfortable down here. I´m excited to see friends and family and enjoy the Northwest summer. But I´ll miss the simplicities of life here. Travelling around with just a backpack filled with my necessities and living cheaply. It has not always been comfortable. We´ve been too hot, too cold, on hellish bus rides, in dingy hotels, and much more. But I ¨enjoy¨ (or maybe the better word is appreciate) being in these situations, probably for the same reasons I enjoy climbing and skiing; it makes me feel more alive. While travelling there isn´t such thing as a routine day. We´re moving around, changing plans and always seeing new sights. And even when we were in Trujillo we would have a weekly routine but walking through the barrios to teach each morning could never feel normal. After growing up in Libertyville and living in Seattle it is impossible to feel numb to the living conditions of the people in those places. Anyways we have done a lot. The time has gone fast at times and slow at other times. It probably will take a while to digest everything we´ve seen and done on this trip. But luckily I´ll have some great pictures and stories to share with all you when we´re back.

5 comments:

webb said...

Brian,

Nicely worded my friend, nicely worded. I wish I could trade places with you my friend, but having you go is almost as good as being there because I know that you, more than any other person I know, will fill me in on all that I may find fascinating down there. I extremely look forward to your return to the Northwest, and the snowpack does too. Think... big Picket Range trip when you get back. Think about how small the Picket Range is compared to some of the ranges that you have seen lately and think how we can conquer it in 5 to 7 days. Sorry to bring your thinking back to Washington, enjoy the rest of your trip.

Anonymous said...

It has been terrific following your adventures. Your descriptions of places you have visited are as beautiful as your pictures. What a great adventure for you both and it was so great Laura could join you. You both made a difference in the lives of the children you taught. Have a great rest of your trip and we will look forward to reading your reflections once you return home and look back on this great adventure.

btracy said...

Nick,
I´m looking forward to getting back to Washington as well. And I´m stoked there is still snow around. We´ll be talking more soon...

ananymous... please identify yourself, if you want.

Brian

Anonymous said...

We forgot to sign our names on our June 21 entry!We hope Kim is better and you both are off on your trek.
Patty and Arnie

Anonymous said...

Kimberly,
I hope you are feeling better. The old Bennett stomach has not been doing too well on this trip.
Maybe some baked chimichangas will do the trick when you get home.
Can't wait.
MOM B